Creative Research Project

I created this piece for my contemporary art history class.  It was a super fun project and I was able to look at a lot of work by Lynda Benglis.  I included my artist statement too!  Hope you enjoy!

For my creative research project, I decided to design a piece of work inspired in the style of Lynda Benglis. When I first saw her sculptural painting work I fell in love with it right away, and her high-saturated color pallet is the same kind of pallet that I enjoy using in my own artwork. Her work that really inspired me was the piece that relied on these organic naturally occurring shapes; that happened when she poured her paint on the floor.  So I thought it would be perfect to use her as my inspiration and motivation.My intention for this painting was to rely heavily on the use of natural pattern, texture, and color. So, I created a black background that I taped off with painters’ tape, to enhance the bright neon colors even more, and to give this distorted floor tile feel to the piece. The tape lines also gave the painting a nice background texture that helped keep the painting from looking too flat. I made the paint different constancies to make more texture when the paint would drip and create a more

My intention for this painting was to rely heavily on the use of natural pattern, texture, and color. So, I created a black background that I taped off with painters’ tape, to enhance the bright neon colors even more, and to give this distorted floor tile feel to the piece. The tape lines also gave the painting a nice background texture that helped keep the painting from looking too flat. I made the paint different constancies to make more texture when the paint would drip and create a more three-dimensional piece.

The motivation for this piece was to have fun. I really wanted this piece to be super bright, obnoxious, and in your face. I wanted it to be in that style and mindset, so it would be like the bold women Lynda Benglis herself.

It was so great to experiment with where I poured the paint onto the canvas and how it interacted with the other paint on the canvas. Doing this painting gave me a sense of confidence since it was abstraction. I feel at times it is hard to know what to do with an abstraction piece; like what to do next and when to stop adding to it so it doesn’t become overworked. I feel now that I have gained more experience I will have more confidence to create additional abstract pieces in my future works.

Series Project Part III

For the final part of my series, I decided to go back to the first series style that I created.  However, this time I created one large canvas instead of 3 smaller ones.  Like for the first part of the series, I used an image that I took myself, of the sky at dusk.  I loved this image and the minute I took the picture I knew I wanted to include it in part of my series.

 

To start with this project, I painted the abstract background first before taping anything off.  I tried to stay as accurate as possible with the colors and the composition of the piece.  After finishing the background, I needed to let the oil paint dry for a few days.  Since I used light colors and the days were more humid my painting took more than three days to dry. Once the background was dry I was able to apply the tape.  I like applying several pieces of tape, so there are options and ideas where I want the shapes to be and see how they will look before filling them in.

I used a lot of tape and removed a lot of it to create the several shapes that my picture ended up with.  I like to give myself a lot of taping options so I have an easier time visualizing what the final project will look like.  Even though the paint was dry, the tape in some places had a hard time sticking, which was a little bit frustrating, but worked out in the end.  Now, with everything taped off I needed to decide on colors that I wanted to use for the overlaying shapes.  After hearing the feedback from my classmates about the color choices that I should do for the shapes I decided to go with black and white.  I loved this decision and I feel that it really made my piece stand out and give it another sense of dimension.   This was such an elaborate and big scale project to work with, I plan on doing more paintings like this one in the near future! I also found it fun to see how my series developed over the span of this project.  This piece is definitely one of my most minimalistic pieces that I have created over the course of this semester.  I think what makes this minimal piece work is the large scale that I used.